Strawberry season is here! Right now they are plentiful and flavoursome so it’s the perfect time to enjoy them fresh or make a deliciously simple strawberry tart! You can pick up all of these ingredients in our store.
- 1 flan shell
- 2 punnets of strawberries
- 6 egg yolks
- 140g caster sugar
- 45g corn flour
- 400ml milk
- 100ml fresh cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste/essence
- 100g sugar
- 100g water
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
To make the cream filling:
- In a saucepan add milk, cream and vanilla paste. Heat until warm but not boiling.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs, sugar and cornflour until combined.
- Gradually pour 1/3 of the milk into the egg mixture and whisk to combine.
- Once combined, pour the mixture back into the saucepan with the remainder of the milk mixture.
- Gently heat until the mixture thickens whilst continually stirring.
- Once the cream has reached a custard type consistency remove and pour into a bowl. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate until cool.
- Once cooled, spread the custard cream into the bottom of the flan case. Slice up strawberries and decorate as desired.
- Heat sugar and water until sugar is dissolved and add lemon juice. Continue boiling until fully dissolved.
- Allow to cool slightly and brush onto the top of the flan whilst still warm until the entire flan is glazed, then put into the refrigerator to cool.
How we Eat ItThe tart is best served on its own or with a simple dollop of whipped cream.
Adam's top 3 Tips
- Use the freshest strawberries you can get
- For extra flavour you can add cherry liquor! Add this to the custard before you pipe it
- Be careful not to boil the custard mixture