A crumble classic where tart-&-tang meets sweet to warm the soul, in cute individual helpings! Serves 4.
- For the Crumble
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 90g chopped, chilled butter
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon sugar to finish the crumble
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into chunks or small cubes
- 1/2 bunch rhubarb chopped into small pieces, leaves removed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Lightly grease 4 ceramic ramekins.
- FILLING: Bring apple and water to boil on high in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes until almost tender. Add the rhubarb pieces and caster sugar: simmer and stir for 2-3 minutes. Drain excess liquids and spoon mixture into the ramekins.
- CRUMBLE: In a medium bowl, sift the flour and mix butter in until mixture is of a breadcrumb-like texture. Add the rolled oats, sugar, coconut and ground cinnamon and stir together. Sprinkle crumble mixture over fruit, followed by a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar on top to finish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Serve warm with ice-cream, cream or custard. Or all three! Go nuts!